Monday, December 3, 2007


I just read this Q&A from eFinancial.

Robbie Miller Kaplan, HR & Recruitment, 6 days ago

I'd start by getting in touch with the first firm to thank them for the offer. Ask if you can give them your answer within a week. There's nothing wrong with making them aware you've been in discussions with someone else, and saying you'd like to extend other firms the courtesy of letting them know you've got an offer on the table. Then, contact the second firm. Call the hiring manager, let him know you're still interested, and ask if they're close to making a decision. If they're not, tell them you've been offered a position with another firm, without revealing too much detail. Courteously point out that you have a decision to make and ask them to share where they are in the hiring process. You can say, "Your opportunity is my first choice and I'd like to have a sense of where you are so I can respond appropriately." Ask if you're the leading candidate, or one of many? Based on their responses, you'll have a good idea of where you stand with both firms.

In my situation, I let my first offer "expire" in a way because I was in a really promising interview stage with another company. I think it's fine to not take the first offer you get because you're talking about your career here. It's funny how much I want to help other people now because of my experience (I've asked for help from so many people). There are so many qualified people out there that don't have what they deserve. If as a super optimist, I feel pretty bad about looking for jobs all the time, I can only imagine what non-super-optimists feel.

No comments: